Members of the Pacifica Synod are invited to join Bishop AndyTaylor on a pilgrimage to visit with our global friends and partners of the Basel Christian Church of Malaysia (BCCM) on the island of Borneo. While the full details for this visit are now being planned, listed below are some of the highlights of dates, events, facts, and costs:
- Leave USA on October 30, 2018, return on November 15, 2018.
- Participants may extend their travels to and from Southeast Asia if they so choose.
- Two overnights and tour of the city of Hong Kong. Visit the Lutheran Church there, including the Seminary, October 31-November 2, 2018.
- Arrive in Kota Kinabalu in the state of Sabah in East Malaysia (Island of Borneo) on November 2, 2018.
- Travel to Sandakan and include a visit to Sepilok Orangutan Reserve November 7 & 8, 2018.
- Journey into the rainforests of Borneo to the region of Kenningau to dedicate two new schools built with donations that were given to the Pacifica Synod for that specific purpose. November 9-11, 2018.
- Depart Kota Kinabalu November 12, 2018 for Singapore.
- Enjoy a few of many sites of Singapore and visit the Lutheran Church in this thriving city/state that is among the top technological-ready and advanced large cities on the globe.
- Depart Singapore November 15, 2018, landing in USA on that same day.
- Participants will make their own overseas flight arrangements to Hong Kong and from Singapore.
- Lodgings, meals, ground and air transportation in Southeast Asia will be scheduled and prepaid before departure.
- Estimated per person cost for everything for the 17 days with the exception of the over-seas flights to Hong Kong and return from Singapore is approximately $1,950. Lodging assumes double occupancy in rooms. Single occupancy will be additional cost.
- Murray and Rhoda Finck will be traveling on this pilgrimage to be involved in the school dedications.
- Scholarship assistance funds are available through the Global Engagement Fund. A $200 scholarship is available for any participant who requests it. Larger scholarships are also available.
- Maximum group is limited to twelve (12) persons total.
For a full listing of trip details, including a suggested itinerary, please click here.
Those interested in being a part of this pilgrimage must complete the Participant Application and submit it as indicated on the application, along with the narrative requested. The deadline to apply is Monday, June 25, 2018.
An exploratory meeting at the Lutheran Center for Mission & Learning (Pacifica Synod Office) for any and all interested will be held on Saturday, June 23 at 10 a.m. If any wish to attend the meeting by video-conference, please email Rachel Line at RachelLine@pacificasynod.org to be sent a link to join.