June 27 – July 1, 2018 we will be gathering in Houston for the ELCA Youth Gathering. Every three years, 30,000 high school youth and their adult leaders gather for a week of faith formation known as the ELCA Youth Gathering. Through days spent in interactive learning, worship, Bible study, service and fellowship, young people grow in faith and are challenged and inspired to live their faith in their daily lives.
ELCA Youth Gathering team announces the theme of the 2018 gathering. “This Changes Everything,” based on Ephesians 2:8, “By grace you have been saved…”
The Gathering website is live now and filled with LOTS of exciting information, videos and resources to get you started in planning for your attendance. Go to www.elca.org/youthgathering to learn more!
We are excited to announce that Amanda Pulos, Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry at King of Glory Lutheran Church in Fountain Valley, is serving as our synod’s Gathering Synod Coordinator for the 2018 Gathering. Amanda is our go-to person for questions about planning and preparing for the Gathering.
In the meantime, check our Facebook page for Pacifica Synod 2018 Houston Youth Gathering Leaders. If you’re not already a member, click the link above and request to join the group.
The Rev. Ramon Zarate, pastor at First Lutheran Church in Vista, is serving as the Synod Day Director for Pacifica. He will be instrumental in the planning and leadership of the day set aside at the Gathering for us to gather as a synod.
We give thanks and welcome both of these faithful leaders to these roles. Please keep them both in your prayers and watch for more information to come!
ELCA Youth Gathering Financial Assistance
Each cycle, the Gathering offers financial assistance to youth participants based on the financial needs of an individual and their family. Please read the following carefully to become familiar with the process for 2018:
• The application opens July 15th, 2017.
• Youth participants may receive up to $300. The assistance amount will be applied as a credit on the congregational account of the youth participant.
• An individual congregation may receive assistance for up to 10 youth participants. The Gathering is not able to offer assistance for adult leaders.
• Financial assistance is not available for MYLE or the tAble. The registration fees for MYLE and the tAble are highly subsidized. MYLE and the tAble participants are welcome to apply for financial assistance to cover Gathering registration fees.
• Assistance will be offered to applicants on a rolling basis, meaning the process ends when all funds have been disbursed. Financial assistance requests always exceed available funds. Adult leaders are strongly encouraged to apply early.
• Adult leaders should complete the application on behalf of any young person applying from their congregation. Download the financial assistance worksheet from our resources page to help collect the necessary information required to complete the application.
Adult leaders will begin receiving email notifications of financial assistance offers on August 15th, after which notifications will be sent within 10 business days.
Adult leaders must register their congregation within 30 days of receiving notification of financial assistance or the assistance may be returned the fund to be re-disbursed. Congregations who receive notice before registration opens on 9/15/2017 will have until 10/15/2017 to complete registration.